Thursday, August 23, 2007

I really DO knit!

I finally have some current knitting to show! First, the project that is on my needles today: The Lizard Ridge blanket from knitty.com. This is a pic of the first four squares, out of 24 needed to make up the blanket. The two on the right have been washed and blocked, and the two on the left are just knit. (one still on the needles!)



The yarn is Noro Kureyon, in colors 102 (bright pink and orange) and 185 (Fall tones). I am knitting on addi turbo's size 8, and I am knitting backwards in the short row sections. Though this does take a bit of practice before coordination kicks in, it does save time and extra movement in the long run. Rather than purl, I knit from the right needle onto the left, almost like knitting while looking in the mirror.

I am waiting on a shipment of more Kureyon colors, due sometime this week or next, to add to the mix. The colors are so beautiful, it makes the yarn a real joy to knit with.

I have recently finished knitting Elizabeth Zimmermann's Baby Surprise Jacket. This ingenious piece of knitting is a true engineering marvel, that you just have to knit to believe.
This is what you knit:


Then you fold it up into this!

I still have to sew seams along the shoulders and sleeve tops, and it will be done. The class for this is coming up in September, and there is still room in the Wednesday evening section. The times are Wednesdays, September 5, 12, and 19, from 5 to 6:30. Email or call me if you would like to sign up.

We had a young knitter in the shop today, working on her first dishcloth project. This is Madison, and she is planning to make something for her new baby sister next. Here's to the next generation!

2 comments:

Bibliocat said...

Kate, the blanket blocks look beautiful. I can't wait to see finished blanket at your shop.

Perfect timing on the Surprise Baby Jacket... I was going to look for the pattern. One of my friend's wife had a baby girl and she appreciates knitted items. I will be stopping by soon for the pattern.

I love that the younger generation is interested in knitting! I started at 14.

I would like to donate a couple of kid's knitting books to Park School Library... (right across the street)
Could you suggest a few title for young beginners?

EyeStamp said...

LOVE the Baby Surprise Jacket--what yarns did you use?

JW in Leroy Township