Friday, March 7, 2008

A new addiction?

Yes, the rumors are true.  I learned how to spin last week, and it was awesome!  If you've never spun before, you've got to try it just for the mesmerizing effect it has.  Imagine the zone that knitting puts you in when you're doing stockinette in the round, wool on bamboo, and it's about 10:30 at night, and you just drank half a pot of Sleepytime tea . . . times ten . . . zzzzz.

I was so "in the zone" that I didn't get a picture, even though my awesome teacher Sierra left me with her wheel and merino for almost five hours. 


This is the first photo taken- when we were winding my first yarn onto a swift in order to ply it.  That's Sierra on the floor behind me.  She plied my yarn for me, and it came out quite pretty!

I spun 60 g total - enough for a nice hat - if I can stand to knit it!  It's just so pretty!  I washed it and set the spin since this photo, and the wool did bloom nicely, while retaining the "designer slubs."

Thanks again Sierra!  I loved it!  

4 comments:

rarabecca said...

looks good!

AmyO said...

woah.....that looks awesome.Was that roving that Sierra brought or did you have some in the shop?
You know Kate, Alpacas don't require too much land to graze...could be the next thing you have in your backyard? Little furry ponies for Audrey to ride ;-)and Bogart to chase ;-)

eileen? said...

thats awesome, are you ever thinking of having a spinning class? :)

Sarilyn Sintobin said...

My lady! I have been following your knitting babe! I have always wanted to try spinning... maybe if I can learn to knit, without using your knitting for kids book! lol... Hope you had a good st. patty's day! Miss you!